POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : File Read Problem : Re: File Read Problem Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:26:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: File Read Problem
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 6 Mar 2001 07:35:27
Message: <3aa4d98f$1@news.povray.org>
"David Vincent-Jones" <geo### [at] galaxynetcom> wrote:

> Can somebody explain to me why the following code is halting at the second
> read.

As far as I can see, what happens is your second loop reads the last entry
in Build.dat - but it does not close the file, because POV closes the file
when it reads EOF. So the condition of the first while loop is still
satisfied; the loop starts, the first #read reads EOF and closes the file.
After this NB_File is undefined and the second #read gives an error.

Here's a hack that works around the problem; it checks whether NB_File
is still defined after the first #read; if not, it simply runs an empty loop.

#fopen NB_File "Build.dat" read
#while (defined(NB_File))
   #read (NB_File,Num)
   #if(defined(NB_File))